What is the typical award granted?
Individual grant awards range of from $200 to $2,000 per recipient depending on need and strength of application.
What kinds of projects can be funded by this grant?
Individual research projects and service trips/projects can be funded by this grant. Honors theses are allowed.
What is the eligibility criteria?
You must be a current CHE student. As long as your work is related to the college’s mission you are eligible to apply. Preference is given to undergraduate students, but graduate students may apply as well.
What do students typically request funding for?
- supplies for research/service projects
- participant prizes/incentives
- software or equipment to carry out research
- air fare/transportation costs
- conference fees to present research
- Note: Grant funds are not awarded for lodging, meals or personal expenses.
What advice do you have for a good application?
- Make sure to clearly describe the expected outcomes of your project.
- Proofread your application thoroughly and make sure that it is well-written, clear, and concise.
- Include a detailed summary of your intended project.
- If your project is associated with a service trip, make sure to identify the expected outcomes of the trip: What will you learn? What will you give back? How will your project benefit others?
- Focus on the core mission of your project, and emphasize how your contribution will make an impact on the field of interest.
- Ensure your faculty/advisor recommendation form is completed by the deadline.
What if I’m doing research with a professor?
Research projects done with a professor can only be funded if there is no existing funding stream for the project.
When is the application due?
Early November and early March of every year. Only completed applications including a recommendation will be considered. Students are responsible for ensuring the recommendation is received by the date due.
If I am awarded a grant, what is expected of me?
If selected for grant funding, you must attend a mandatory session explaining next steps for accessing and spending your funds. Receipts are required for any purchases and must be submitted within 60 days of the date of purchase. A final report of your project is required upon completion.
If I received a grant in the past, can I apply again?
Previous recipients of a grant are eligible to reapply for funding a different project, however award preference is given to students who have not received prior funding.
What if my project is cancelled after receiving funding?
If a grant is awarded but the project/event is postponed, or drastically changed, funding may be retracted. Please contact CHE alumni affairs at email@example.com.
Are there resources available to help me fill out the grant application?
For any questions about the grant application, please contact Deborah Surine (firstname.lastname@example.org and 607-255-7802) who coordinates the grant program.