Currently enrolled Cornell University freshmen and sophomores who are interested in internally transferring to the College of Human Ecology (CHE) from another Cornell University college/school should thoroughly review the following information to prepare for the Internal Transfer process. You should also thoughtfully consider your academic interests and strengths as you explore CHE and our majors.

*Current Human Ecology students who are interested in changing to another CHE major need to complete the Change of Plan (Major) Form. Students can consult with CHE academic advisors to discuss their interests and this process and can contact the Human Ecology Registrar’s office with questions about the form.

Information Sessions

A CHE Internal Transfer Information Session is the best place for admissions and coursework advising. Prospective Internal Transfers are strongly encouraged, but not required, to attend/view a session (recorded on September 9, 2020) well in advance of applying. Information about live, Zoom-based sessions will be posted as they are scheduled. 

Upcoming Information Sessions:

  • Wednesday May 4, 2022, at 4:30. Zoom

Internal transfer eligibility for the College of Human Ecology

  • Currently enrolled/matriculated Cornell University freshmen and sophomores can apply for an internal transfer. Juniors are rarely considered for an Internal Transfer.
  • Students must be in good academic, character, and disciplinary standing with Cornell University and their home college, and not have any pending status inquiries at the time of application.
  • Qualified premed/prehealth candidates should apply by the end of their freshmen year. High performing premed/prehealth sophomores might be considered. 

CHE Internal transfer selection criteria

The internal transfer process is selective and competitive. Admission to the Human Biology, Health, and Society (HBHS) major is extremely competitive, and only students who meet the coursework and GPA requirements should apply.

Internal transfer applicants should have:

  • a minimum Cornell University cumulative GPA of 3.0, with "B" or better grades in courses for your target major;
  • taken/in progress major and College-based required coursework; and
  • provided evidence of a strong, well-considered connection between your interests, extracurricular engagements, and your target major via the application essay.

Internal transfer application process

  • An online application is required for all applicants to the College of Human Ecology. 
  • A design supplement, submitted the established deadline, is also required for those applying to the Design and Environmental Analysis major or the Fashion Design & Management program.
  • College of Human Ecology Personal Statement.
    • Your Human Ecology internal application should convey the following (600 words max):
      • Your interest in a Human Ecology major, how it developed and how you have tested it
      • Possible professional goals/interests you are considering, and how will Human Ecology help you attain your goals?
      • Describe how you have been involved at Cornell (work/volunteer experiences, clubs, research, etc.)
      • Any other pertinent factors regarding your candidacy.
  • Human Ecology requires submission of your resume, so be sure to include this in the space provided on the online application form. If you are uncertain what to include in your essay, you can browse samples on the Cornell Career Services website, request an appointment with one of their advisors, or attend our resume writing workshop. NOTE: Links to resumes will NOT be accepted and will be erased from your application.

Admissions decisions

Internal transfer application decisions are made after final grades for the current semester have been received. Decision letters will be mailed to the address noted on your application. There is no appeal process.

Conditional transfer requirements

See below for the requirements of the Conditional Transfer semester. Your potential admission to the College for the following semester is contingent upon successful completion of the listed requirements.

  1. Your Conditional Transfer semester course schedule must be approved by a College of Human Ecology Admissions Counselor by the end of the first week of classes.
              - All courses should be consistent with the requirements in your proposed major.
              - At least half of your academic credits must be College of Human Ecology courses and must be taken for a letter grade.
              - Any changes to your academic schedule throughout the semester must also be pre-approved.
  2. Complete 12 -- 15 academic credits and earn a minimum semester grade point average of 3.0 with B+ or better grades in courses related to your College of Human Ecology major.
  3. Remain in good academic and character standing.

Contact us

Attended a session and have additional questions? Email us.