JP currently works as Head, Global Health Initiatives (cross-cutting) team, Office of the Director, Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, Division of Healthier Populations (HEP) and has served senior-level positions at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva since he joined in July 2008. He also works as an active member of the WHO Guidelines Review Committee 2021-2023. He is a member of Cochrane since 2003, a member of the WHO embracing disability affinity group and a WHO HEP Division representative of the WHO Gender, Equity and Human Rights Network.
He works for the advancement of public health epidemiology focused on policy making to ensuring healthy lives and promoting wellbeing for all at all ages.
He has led, co-led and contributed over 60 WHO practice and science-informed global policy with state-of-the-art methodology for guideline development and supports their implementation through people-centered integrated care in primary health care. He has authored or co-authored over 100 publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
He currently serves as a member of the WHO Guideline Steering Committee for the WHO guideline for the improvement of functioning domains, activities and social participation of girls and boys (in all their diversity) and adolescents with obesity, using a primary health care approach.
He helped established the annual WHO/Cochrane/Cornell summer institute for systematic reviews in nutrition for global policy-making in collaboration with leaders in these organizations since 2014 and is a founder member of Cochrane Nutrition. In 2019, he led a multidisciplinary agile team on nutrition in primary health care settings for universal health coverage. In 2021, its collaborative project between Cornell University, Creative Commons, Wikipedia and WHO received an award from the WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhamon Ghebreyesus for the Editathon 2021 Health for All” as part of the WHO LEAD Innovation Challenge 2021.
Prior to WHO, JP worked as a Specialist at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, USA and was involved in planning, implementing, and reporting of health and nutrition surveillance systems to inform policy.
In the private sector, Juan Pablo worked for Kellogg Company from 1997 to 2002, leading nutrition and food scientific and regulatory affairs at the regional level in the Latin America Headquarters based in Mexico and serving eight country subsidiaries.
JP is a Venezuelan medical epidemiologist, scientist and diplomat who received his Medical Degree from Luis Razetti School of Medicine, Universidad Central de Venezuela and a MSc in Public Health Nutrition from University of Puerto Rico. He holds a PhD in Epidemiology and Human Nutrition from Cornell University, USA. He is married to Heber Gomez Malave (he, him, his), a musician/songwriter (aka “Belle Petite”), medical doctor, sociologist, writer and philanthropist.
- Garcia-Casal MN, Pasricha S-R, Martinez RX, Lopez-Perez L, Peña-Rosas JP1. Serum or plasma ferritin concentration as an index of iron deficiency and overload. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2021, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD011817. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011817.pub2
- Centeno-Tablante E, Medina-Rivera M, Finkelstein JL, Herman HS; Rayco-Solon P, Garcia-Casal MN, et al. Update on the transmission of Zika virus through breast milk and breastfeeding: a systematic review of the evidence. Viruses 2021, 13, 123. https://doi.org/10.3390/v13010123
- Medina-Rivera M, Centeno-Tablante E, Finkelstein JL, Rayco-Solon P, Peña-Rosas JP, Maria N. Garcia-Casal MN, et al. Presence of Ebola virus in breast milk and risk of mother-to-child transmission: synthesis of evidence. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci 2020. doi.org/10.1111/nyas.14519
- Centeno-Tablante E, Medina-Rivera M, Finkelstein JL, Rayco-Solon P, Garcia-Casal MN, Rogers LM, et al. Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 through breast milk and breastfeeding: a living systematic review. 2020. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. doi:10.1111/nyas.14477
- Field MS, Mithra P, Estevez D, Peña-Rosas JP1. Wheat flour fortification with iron for reducing anaemia and improving iron status in populations. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2020, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD011302. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011302.pub2.
- Palacios C, Trak-Fellermeier MA, Martinez RX, Lopez-Perez L, Lips P, Salisi JA, John JC, Peña-Rosas JP. Regimens of vitamin D supplementation for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD013446. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD013446.
- Palacios C, Kostiuk LK, Peña-Rosas JP. Vitamin D supplementation for women during pregnancy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD008873. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008873.pub4.
- Hombali AS, Solon JA, Venkatesh BT, Nair NS, Peña-Rosas JP1. Fortification of staple foods with vitamin A for vitamin A deficiency. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD010068. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010068.pub2.
- Peña-Rosas JP1, Mithra P, Unnikrishnan B, Kumar N, De-Regil LM, Nair NS, Garcia-Casal MN, Solon JA. Fortification of rice with vitamins and minerals for addressing micronutrient malnutrition. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD009902. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009902.pub2.
1997, PhD, Epidemiology and Human Nutrition, Division of Nutritional Sciences - College of Agriculture and Life Sciences CALS
1993, Master of Sciences, Public Health and Nutrition, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Puerto Rico
1991, Medical Surgeon (MD), Medicine, School of Medicine Luis Razzetti, Universidad Central de Venezuela