Heeju Terry Park is an Associate Professor in the Department of Fiber Science & Apparel Design at Cornell University. He obtained his Ph.D. at Oklahoma State University with an expertise in functional apparel design. Dr. Park has participated in multiple funded multidisciplinary research projects aiming to improve the mobility and thermal comfort of personal protective clothing system including ballistic body armor and firefighters’ bunker gear. He has focused on biomechanic and physiological evaluation of personal protective clothing system and sports apparel by exploring the advantages of the latest human performance simulation and assessment technologies such as motion capture and thermal manikin systems.
His professional career as an athletic apparel & footwear manager at PUMA Korea, endowed him with broad knowledge of commercially available ergonomic design features and technologies to improve mobility, comfort & athletic performance.
His research and creative designs won numerous awards from international conference and design competitions: 2018 Paper of Distinction Award at ITAA, 2016 Oklahoma State University College of Human Science Rising Star Award ,2015 ITAA (International Textile and Apparel Association) Rising Star Award, Honorable Mention in 2014 P3 Design Award (Environmental Protection Agency), 2012 Oklahoma State University Graduate Research Excellence Award, Paper of Distinction Award at International Textile and Apparel Association (2012), 2010 Phoenix Award for Oklahoma State University – Outstanding Doctoral Student; 2010 ATEXINC Excellent Marketable Design Award at International Textile and Apparel Association, Second Place at American Quilter’s Society Fashion Design Competition (2009).
He has published 38 peer-reviewed journal papers, and secured about $6 million research funding from various agencies and industry partners including the Department of Energy, USDA, NASA, Environmental Protection Agency, etc.
- Thermal protection and comfort of protective clothing and sportswear
- Design and evaluation of auxiliary heating/cooling garment
- Mobility of protective clothing and injury risk
- Footwear design and evaluation
- Smart clothing
1. Anthropometric and Biomechanical Study for Improved Size and Fit of Protective Gear for Farmers and Firefighters (PI: Huiju Park, $87,090 funded by National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA) (2017 - 2020)
2. Optic Lace for Parachute (PIs: Huiju Park and Robert Shepherd, Subaward: $52,000 funded by NASA) (2019-2020)
3. Non-Encapsulating NFPA1994 Class 1 Protective Ensemble (PI: Jeffrey Stull, Co-PI: Huiju Park) ($116,245 funded by Combating Terrorism Technical Support Office)
4. Indoor Occupant Counting and Co2 Monitoring Based on RF Backscattering (PI: Edwin Kan, Co-PIs: Huiju Park, Hysell, D., Zadeh, R., Mukhopadhyay, J) (Award total: ~$1,500,000, Sub-award to Huiju Park: $278,491 funded by Department of Energy) (2018 - 2021)
My teaching philosophy is to guide students to contribute to the apparel industry, the community, and society through their profession with knowledge, professional skills, creativity and a sound spirit. With this philosophy, I have designed a learning environment in which students can incorporate the latest technologies, technical skills and creative design ideas, while understanding the current issues in the field, from both the industry and the consumer perspectives. My teaching has focused on problem-solving design approaches through hands-on learning experiences in various forms, which, I believe, is an effective way of making students become viable candidates in their future careers.
FSAD1140: Fashion CAD
FSAD2660: Activewear Design and Product Development
FSAD3990: Smart Clothing: Design and Programming
FSAD4990: Honor Thesis
FSAD6900: Functional Aspects of Clothing and Design
FSAD6370: Apparel Graduate Seminar
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
* indicates Cornell graduate and undergraduate student co-authors.
2019 (4 publications)
1. Park, H., Kakar, R., *Pei J., Tome, J., & Stull, J. (2019). Impact of Size of Fire Boots and Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus on Firefighters’ Mobility. Clothing and Textile Research Journal (Impact factor: 0.85). 37(2), 103-118. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X18807753
2. Park, H., *Pei, J., *Shi, M., *Xu, Q., & Fan, J. (2019), Designing Wearable Computing Device for Improved Comfort and User Acceptance, Ergonomics. (Impact factor:1.818), 62(11), 1474-1484.
3. *Nemeth, M., Park, H., & Mendle, J. (2019, Accepted). Collegiate Female Athletes’ Body Image and Clothing Behaviors. Fashion and Textiles.
4. *Pei, J., Park, H., & Ashdown, S. (2019). Female Breast Shape Classification based on Analysis of CAESAR 3D Body Scan Data, Textile Research Journal (Impact factor: 1.4) https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517517753633
5. Park, H. & Koo, S. (2018). Emerging trends in 3D technology adopted in apparel design research and product development. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles. 42(1), 195-209.
6. Tian M., Park, H., *Koo, H., *Xu, Q., & Li, J. (2018). Effects of Load Carriage and Work Boots on Lower Limb Kinematics of Industrial Workers, International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics. 24(4), 582-591. (Impact factor: 0.35).
7. *Pei, J., Park, H., Ashdown, S., Arzu Vuruskan (2017). A Sizing Improvement Methodology Based on Adjustment of Interior Accomodation Rates across Categories within a Size Chart, International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology. 29(5), 716-731 (Impact factor: 0.75)
8. *Beaudette, E., & Park, H. (2017), Impact of Seam Types on Thermal Comfort of Athletic Bodywear, Textile Research Journal. (Impact factor: 1.599).87(9), 1052-1059.
9. Lewis, T. L., Park, H., Netravali, A. N., & Trejo, H. X. (2017). Closing the loop: a scalable zero-waste model for apparel reuse and recycling. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 10(3), 353-362.
10. Tian M., Park, H., *Koo, H., *Xu, Q., & Li, J. (2017). Impacts of Work Boots and Load Carriage on the Gait of Oil Rig Workers, International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics. 23(1), 118-126. (Impact factor: 0.35)
11. Park, H., Hwang, S., Lee, J-Y., Fan, J., & Jeong, Y. (2016). Impact of Electrical Heating on Effective Thermal Insulation of a Multi-layered Winter Clothing System for Optimal Heating Efficiency, International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology. 28(2), 254-264. (Impact factor: 0.333)
12. Lee, E., & Park, H. (2016), 3D Virtual Fit Simulation Technology: Strengths and Areas of Improvement for Increased Industry Adoption, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education. 1-12. ISSN 1754-3266.
13. *Donelan, C., & Park, H. (2016). Evaluation of Cooling Garments for Improved Design and Thermal Comfort Thermal Manikin Tests, AATCC Research Journal. 3(5), 1-11. DOI: 10.14504/ajr.3.5.1
14. *Alicia Potuck, A., *Meyers, S., *Levitt, A., *Beaudette, E., Xiao, H., Chu, C., & Park, H. (2016), Development of Thermochromic Pigment-based Sportswear for Detection of Physical Exhaustion, Fashion Practice. 8(2), 279-295.
15. Park, H., Kim, S., *Morris, K., *Moukperian, M., Moon, Y., & Stull, J. (2015). Effect of Firefighters’ Personal Protective Equipment on Foot Function and Gait, Applied Ergonomics.(Impact factor: 1.332). 48, 42-48.
16. Park, H., *Trejo, H., *Miles, M., *Bauer, A., Kim, S., & Stull, J. (2015). Impact of Firefighters’ Turnout Gear on Lower Body Range of Motion, International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology. (Impact factor: 0.333). 27(3). 315-334.
17. Lee, J-Y, Park, J., Park, H., Coca, A., Kim, J-H., Taylor, N.A.S., Son, S-Y., & Tochihara, Y. (2015), What Do Firefighters Desire from the Next Generation of Personal Protective Equipment? Outcomes from an International Survey, Industrial Health, 53(5), 434-444. (Impact factor: 1.045)
18. Kim, S., & Park, H. (2015). Impact of Firefighters’ Protective Clothing and Equipment on Upper Body Range of Motion. Fashion and Textile Research Journal.17 (4). 635-645.
19. Lee, H. Y. & Park, H. (2015). Comparison of Thermal-moisture Properties in Combination of 3D Spacer and Polyurethane Foam for Mold Brassier Cups. Korean Journal of Human Ecology. 24(2). 285-295.
20. Park, H., Branson, D., Kim, S., Warren, A., Jacobson, B., Petrova, A., Peksoz, S., & Kamenidis, P. (2014), Effect of Armor and Carrying Load on Body Balance and Leg Muscle Function, Gait and Postures (Impact factor: 1.969). 39(1), 430-435.
21. Park, H., Park, J., Lin S-H., & Boorady, L. (2014). Assessment of Firefighters’ Needs for Personal Protective Equipment, Fashion & Textiles, 1(1), 1-13.
22. Park, H., Kim, S., *Wu Y., & *Allen, N. (2014), Beyond Protection: Technology and Design Moving Toward Human Factors of Fire Gear, AATCC Review, (Impact factor: 0.254),14(5), 40-45.
23. Park, H., & Hahn, K. (2014), Perception of Firefighters’ Turnout Ensemble and Level of Satisfaction by Body Movement, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education. 7(2), 85-95.
24. Park, H., Branson, D., Petrova, A., Peksoz, S., Jacobson, B., Warren, A., Goad, C., & Kamenidis, P. (2013), Impact of Ballistic Body Armor and Load Carriage on Walking Patterns and Perceived Comfort, Ergonomics (Impact factor: 1.674). 56(7), 1167-1179.
25. Han, H., Park, H., & Jeon, E. (2013), User Acceptance of a Light-Emitting Diode Vest for Police, Fashion and Textiles Research Journal, 15(5), 834-840.
26. Park, H., Branson, D., Petrova, A., Peksoz, S., Warren, A., Jacobson, B., Goad, C., & Kamenidis, P. (2013), Effects of Body Armor and Load Carriage on Lower Limb Joint Movement, Journal of Human Performance in Extreme Environments. 10(2). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7771/2327-2937.1049
27. Park, H., An, S. K., Peksoz, S., Cao, H., & Branson, D. (2012). Core Body Temperature Prediction through Monitoring of Microclimate under Body Armor Using Thermal Manikin, AATCC Review. 12(2), 69-72.
28. Park, H. (2012), Toward Finding an Optimal Balance between Function and Comfort in the Most Intimate Human Environment, Journal of Ergonomics, 2(4) 1:e114. DOI:10.4172/2165-7556.1000e114
29. Park, H., & Cho, H. (2012). Social Online Communities: Information Source for Apparel Shopping, Journal of Consumer Marketing. 29(6), 400-411
30. Park, H., Nolli, G., Branson, D., Peksoz, S., Petrova, A., & Goad, C. (2011). Impact of Wearing Body Armor on Lower Body Movement, Clothing and Textile Research Journal, (Impact factor: 0.33), 29(3), 232- 247.
2002 - 2011
31. Choi, K., Park, H., Chung, E. & Peksoz, S. (2011). Scientometric Analysis of Research in Smart Clothing: State of the Art and Future Direction, Lecture Notes in Computer Science,6776, 500-508.
32. Peksoz, S., Cao, H., Park, H., An, S. K., & Branson, D. (2010). Core Temperature Prediction Modeling using a Sweating Manikin,The 8th International Meeting Manikins and Modeling, Victoria, BC, Canada. (5 page full proceeding paper)
33. Branson, D., Kamenidis, P., Peksoz, S., Park, H., An, S. K., & Starr, C. (2010). Thermal Manikin Evaluation of Prototype Arm and Shoulder Armor, The 8th International Meeting for Manikins and Modeling, Victoria, BC, Canada. (5 page full proceeding paper)
34. Peksoz, S., Park, H., An, S. K., & Cao, H. (2009). Smart Clothing for Firefighter Protection, Intelligent Textiles and Mass Customisation International Conference, Casablanca, Morocco. (ISBN: 978-9954-8878-1-4)
35. Park, H., Choi, K., & Branson, D. (2009). Effect of Heat Reflective Textile for Thermal Protective Smart Apparel System against Solar Radiation, 2009 Human Computer Interaction International Conference, San Diego, CA.(5 page full proceeding paper)
36. Park, H., Lee, J. H., & Lee, S. G. (2002). An Explorative Research for Possibility of Digital-wear based on Motion-detective Input Technology as Apparel Product and a Suggestion of the Design Prototypes (I). Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion &Sensibility, 5(1), 33-48.
37. Park, H., Lee, J. H., & Lee, S. G. (2002). An Explorative Research for Possibility of Digital-wear based on Motion-detective Input Technology as Apparel Product and a Suggestion of the Design Prototypes (II). Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion &Sensibility, 5(2), 35-50.
38. Lee, Y, Chung, H., Park, H., Lee, J., & Cho, G. (2002). Effect of Design Elements of Block Stripe Pattern on Sensibility, Korean Journal of the Science of Emotion &Sensibility, 5(3), 21-28.
Refereed Extended Conference Proceedings
- Gordon, PH., Chen, R., Park, H., & Kan, EC. (2017) Embroidered Antenna Characterization for Passive UHF RFID Tags, IEEE RFID 2016, Orlando, FL.
- *Beaudette, E., Hinestroza, J., Sanchez-Botero, L., Park, H., & Ashdown, S. (2014, September). Innovative explorations in apparel design to create engineered outfits with lighting technologies. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers: Adjunct Program (pp. 15-19). ACM. ISBN: 978-1-4503-3048-0. DOI:10.1145/2641248.2641279
- Jia, M., Tome, J. M., Shi, M., Park, H., Fan, J., & Kakar, R. S. (2018). Dynamic Knee Orthosis System for Females with Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 50(5S), 42.
Faculty Fellow of Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future
Member of International Textile and Apparel Association
Member of American Footwear and Apparel Association
Member of CFFI (Cornell Institute of Fashion and Fiber Innovation)
Member of NC170 Multi-State Research Group
Member of AATCC (American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists)
Director, Undergraduate Studies (Summer 2017 - Spring 2018)
2011, Ph.D., Apparel Design, Oklahoma State University
2002, M.S., Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University
1997, B.S., Clothing and Textiles, Yonsei University