The Nutrition and Health Minor: Available to all non-DNS Cornell undergraduates

The Nutrition and Health minor provides a broad overview of nutrition through an introductory course and three advanced electives. It is available to all Cornell undergraduates in all Colleges and majors except undergraduates in DNS, i.e. NS, HBHS, or GPHS majors and Biology majors who have a Human Nutrition concentration. For more information about the Nutrition and Health minor, contact DNS Academic Affairs at in B36 Kinzelberg Hall.

The requirements of the Nutrition and Health minor consist of 3 credits of introductory nutrition content (NS 1150 Nutrition, Health, and Society OR NS 1220 Nutrition and the Life Cycle)* PLUS 9 credits of didactic NS courses from the list below. Students must choose the 9 cr. of NS courses from the list. Courses must be completed as letter grade. Please note that NO substitutions for the introductory courses will be accepted (except external transfer students, who may petition), and NO Special Studies (NS 4000, 4010, 4020, 4030, or 4990) or transfer credit courses may be used toward the 9-credit elective requirement.

*For students matriculating in Fall 2021 or later, introductory nutrition content may be completed via either NS 1150 or NS 1220. Students who matriculated during or before Spring 2021 or earlier may still use NS 1220 as an elective option.  

Global Perspectives on Human Health

  • NS 3060 Nutrition and Global Health (3 cr)
  • NS 4450 Toward a Sustainable Global Food System: Food Policy for Developing Countries (3 cr)
  • NS 4480 / AEM 4485 Economics of Food and Malnutrition (3 cr)
  • NS 4570 / ECON 4740 Health, Poverty, and Inequality: A Global Perspective (3 cr)

Public Health and Nutrition

  • NS 4500 Public Health Nutrition (3 cr)
  • NS 3600 Epidemiology (3 cr)

Food Quality and Food Service Management

  • NS 2470 Food for Contemporary Living (2 cr)
  • NS 3450 / FDSC 2000 Introduction to Physicochemical and Biological Aspects of Foods (3 cr)

Human Health and Nutrition

  • NS 1220 Nutrition and the Life Cycle (3 cr)*
  • NS 2750 / ANTHR 2750 Human Biology and Evolution (3 cr)
  • NS 3030 Nutrition, Health and Vegetarian Diets (3 cr)
  • NS 3150 / PSYCH 3150 Obesity and the Regulation of Body Weight (3 cr)
  • NS 3410 Human Anatomy and Physiology (Lecture) (4 cr)
  • NS 4200 Diet and the Microbiome (3 cr)
  • NS 4410 Nutrition and Disease (4 cr)
  • NS 4420 Implementation of Nutrition Care (3 cr; enrollment restricted – priority to Dietetics students)

Nutritional Biochemistry

  • NS 3200 Introduction to Human Biochemistry (4 cr)
  • NS 3310 Human Nutrition and Nutrient Metabolism  4 cr)
  • NS 3320 Methods in Nutritional Sciences (3 cr; enrollment restricted – priority to NS majors and Dietetics students)

Psychological and Social Influences on Human Nutrition

  • NS 2450 Social Science Perspectives on Food and Nutrition (3 cr)
  • NS 4250 Nutrition Communications and Counseling (3 cr; enrollment restricted – priority to Dietetics students)

Students are responsible for planning their minor program of study with their major faculty advisor.

Registration: Students should indicate their intent to participate by submitting a Nutrition and Health Minor intent form to DNS Academic Affairs at, or drop off in Kinzelberg Hall B36A) as soon as they decide to complete the minor.

Completion: DNS only reports minors to College registrars once they are complete, including all relevant forms. The College registrar then adds the Minor to your transcript when the degree is conferred (but it will not appear on the diploma). If there are any problems regarding completion, we will contact you. If you do not see the minor on your transcript after your degree is conferred, please contact your College Registrar’s Office to inquire.

The Nutrition and Health Minor Student Intent Form

As soon as you decide to complete the Nutrition and Health minor, please complete this form (click link above to access) and return to or bring it to B36A Kinzelberg Hall. If at any time you decide not to complete the requirements, please be sure to notify the Academic Affairs Office at