Youngsoo Shin is a doctoral student, studying Human Behavior and Design at Cornell University. He has taken part in interdisciplinary research projects which enabled him to study research methodologies and to enjoy extensive study. Specifically, he has attempted to (1) study the environment of experiencing products from the perspective of human-centered design, (2) analyze preceding factors to improve the user's well-being, and (3) explore ways to influence user behaviors through interaction in a digital environment.
Prior to joining Cornell, he also worked as a professional practitioner. Through his research experience at McKinsey, the worldwide consulting firm, he devoted his time to understanding customer behaviors by participating in projects on consumer insights and technology innovation. Also, as a data scientist and UX researcher at AMOREPACIFIC, one of the largest cosmetic manufacturers in Asia, he conducted on the customers’ unmet needs through applying various Machine Learning and Text Mining techniques in the new product development process.
His research interests lie in the intersection of the two fields of human behavior and information technology with a focus on exploring various ways to improve user experiences, which is becoming a significant component of the human-computer interaction field. He believes that the advent of information technology allows designers to interplay with users in real-time, collect their behavioral data within a variety of environments, and also, conversely, to have the opportunity to intervene directly with their experiences.
He is very curious about the human mind. He always has a strong desire to find, analyze, and predict behavior patterns using data-driven and evidence-based methods from machine learning, data mining, and qualitative socio-cognitive sciences. Thus, in his research, he expects to use various digital footprint data sets produced from various touch-points of a space-time environment in which user and technology interaction are at that core.
#Human-Computer Interaction #Cognitive Science #User Experience #Data Science #Social Design #Behavior Economics
Coordinator and Instructor
- DEA 3510_Human Factors and Inclusive Design, Cornell Univ. (Fall 2021)
- Data-Driven UX Design, Fast Campus, Seoul, South Korea (2020 - Present)
- DEA 1110_Making a Difference by Design, Cornell Univ. (Fall 2021)
- DEA 1500_Introduction to Environmental Psychology, Cornell Univ. (Fall 2020)
- DEA 1101_Visual Literacy and Design Studio, Cornell Univ. (Fall 2019)
- DEA 1110_Making a Difference by Design, Cornell University (Fall 2019)
- BIZ 4167_Service Innovation Workshop, Yonsei Univ. (Spring 2015)
- BIZ 4141_Human-Centered Design, Yonsei Univ. (Fall 2014)
- BIZ 3117_Introduction to Human-Computer Interaction, Yonsei Univ. (Fall 2013)
Peer-reviewed Journal Article
- Shin, Y. & Yoon, J. (2021). The Development of a Self-Management Mobile Interface: Investigating the Effects of Users' Decision-Making Tendency on Behavioral Change in HCI Contexts (In preparation)
- Shin, Y. & Yoon, J. (2021). Interview Study for Tailoring Users’ Decision-Making Tendency for Personalized User Experience Design. (In preparation)
- Shin, Y., Krithik, R., Kowalski, M., & Yoon, J. (2021). A Human-Centered Approach to Conversational User Interfaces Personalized to User’s Maximization Tendency. (In preparation)
- Shin, Y. & Yoon, J. (2021). Design for Autonomy in Human-AI Interaction: Conceptual Review, Synthesis, and Research Direction. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. (Under Review)
- Shin, Y. & Kim, J. (2018). Data-Centered Persuasion: Forging User's Prosociality and Designing Social Innovation. Computers in Human Behavior, 80(3), 168-178. [SSCI; JCR Q1 in Human-Computer Interaction]
- Shin, Y., Im, C., Oh, H., & Kim, J. (2017). Design for Experience Innovation: Understanding User Experience in New Product Development. Behaviour & Information Technology, 36(12), 1218-1234. [SCI; SSCI; JCR Q1 in Human-Computer Interaction]
- Shin, Y., Kim, M., Im, C., & Chong, S. C. (2017). Self and Selfie: The Effect of Selfies on Self-esteem and Social Sensitivity. Personality and Individual Differences, 111, 139-145. [SSCI; JCR Q1 in Psychology (miscellaneous)]
- Shin, Y., Oh, H., & Im, C. (2015). Creative Thinking and Co-creation in New Product Development. Yonsei Business Review, 52(2), 279-308.
- Shin, Y., Lee, B., & Kim, J. (2015). Prosocial Activists in SNS: The Impact of Isomorphism and Social Presence on Prosocial Behaviors. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 31(12), 939-958. [SCI; SCIE; SSCI; JCR Q2 in Computer Science Applications]
- Shin, Y., Im, C., Lee, S., & Kim, J. (2015). A Study on User Experience in the Usage Context of Erasing. Science of Emotion and Sensibility, 18(2), 65-74.
- Shin, Y., Im, C., Lee, S., & Kim, J. (2015). Experience Innovation and Business Strategy: Design for User Experience in New Product Development. Journal of Information Technology Services, 14(2), 231-251.
- Shin, Y. (2015). Experience Innovation and Business Strategy: Design for User Experience in New Product Development. Yonsei Journal, 61, 55-79. *Best Paper Award*
- Im, C., Shin, Y., Kim, J., & Lee, I. (2015). Effect of Constraint and Supporting Features of Mobile Social Networking Games on User's Satisfaction. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 15(7), 353-367.
- Lee, S., Shin, Y., Im, C., Beak, H., Lee, S., & Kim, J. (2014). The Effect of an Emotional Factor on User Experience with Smartphone Unlocking Process. Science of Emotion and Sensibility, 17(4), 79-88.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceeding
- Shin, Y. & Yoon, J. (2021). Development of a Framework for Implementing Data-Driven UX Design: Exploring an Interlink between Data Science and UX Design. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. (Under review)
- Shin, Y., Kim, C., & Yoon, J. (2021). Development of a Scale to Measure Decision-Making Tendency in Human-Product Interactions. The International Congress of International Association of Sciences of Design Research (IASDR), Hong Kong. (Conditionally accepted)
- Shin, Y., Kim, C., & Yoon, J. (2021). Behavioral Intervention Technology in UX Design: Conceptual Review, Synthesis, and Research Direction. The International Congress of International Association of Sciences of Design Research (IASDR), Hong Kong. (Accepted)
- Shin, Y. & Yoon, J. (2021). Towards designing human-centered time management interfaces: The development of 14 UX design guidelines for time-related experiences in mobile HCI. MobileHCI Late-Breaking Work. ACM. Toulouse & Virtual, France.
- Shin, Y., Barankevich, R. A., Lee, J., & Kalantari, S. (2021). PENCODER: Design for Prospective Memory and Older Adults. In CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Extended Abstracts (CHI ’21 Extended Abstracts), May 8–13, 2021, Yokohama, Japan. ACM, New York, NY, USA.
- Ko, E., Kim, S., Shin, Y., Bae, J., Ahn, J., Goh, M., Jin, M., Lee, J., Kim, I., Park, B., Hong, K., Baik, S., & Youg, S. (2017). Genotype-Phenotype Interaction Analysis of Skin Properties via Genome-wideassociation Studies in 411 Korean Female. 24th Conference of the International Federation of Societies of Cosmetic Chemists. *Best Paper Award*
- Im, C., Lee, S., Shin, Y., & Kim, J. (2015). Delineating Experience of the Closed SNS Using Theoretical Concepts: A Comparison Study with Open SNS. In Proceedings of the Conference of the Korea Society of Management Information System, 29-34.
- Shin, Y., Oh, H., Lee, S., Im, C., & Kim, J. (2014). Suggestions for Securing 'Golden Time' Based on Cognitive Science. In Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Human Computer Interaction Society of Korea, 396-403.
- Im, C., Shin, Y., Lee, S., & Kim, J. (2014). A Research of Design Principles to Reduce Cognitive Load in Online Learning Platform. In Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Human Computer Interaction Society of Korea, 306-313.
Ph.D., Student in Human Behavior & Design, Cornell Univ
2015, M.S., Cognitive Science and Engineering, Yonsei Univ., Seoul, S. Korea
2013, B.A., Psychology, Yonsei Univ., Seoul, S. Korea
2013, B.S., Human Environment & Design, Yonsei Univ,, Seoul, S. Korea