Anna Thalacker-Mercer, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Nutritional Sciences at Cornell University (since 2012). She received her doctorate degree through the Interdepartmental Nutrition Program in the Department of Nutrition Science at Purdue University where she developed a strong background in geriatric nutrition and the mechanisms underlying aging skeletal muscle. She continued her research training as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Center for Aging Translational Research Program and the Center for Exercise Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). Her research program at Cornell is currently focused on understanding the mechanisms underlying skeletal muscle deterioration and the development of metabolic disease with a particular focus on the dynamics between inflammation and metabolism.
Characterizing primary human satellite cells/muscle progenitor cells; Identifying mechanisms/metabolic disturbances underlying impaired muscle regeneration; Identifing and characterizing metabolic disturbances underlying the aging skeletal muscle phenotype
- Stec M, Thalacker-Mercer A, Mayhew D, Kelly N, Tuggle S, Merritt E, Brown C, Vaughn K, Windham S, Dell’Italia L, and Bamman M. Randomized, Four-Arm, Dose-Response Clinical Trial to Optimize Resistance Exercise Training for Older Adults with Age-Related Muscle Atrophy. Exp Gerontol. 2017 Dec 1;99:98-109.
- Taesuwan S, Cho C, Malysheva O, Bender E, Yan J, Thalacker-Mercer A, Caudill M. The metabolic fate of isotopically labeled trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO) in humans. J Nutr Biochem. 2017 Jul;45:77-82.
- Mentch SJ, Mehrmohamadi M, Huang L, Liu X, Gupta D, Mattocks D, Gómez Padilla P, Ables G, Bamman MM, Thalacker-Mercer AE, Nichenametla SN, Locasale JW. Histone Methylation Dynamics and Gene Regulation Occur through the Sensing of One-Carbon Metabolism. Cell Metab. 2015 Sep 22. pii: S1550-4131(15)00457-X.
- Thalacker-Mercer A, Ingram K, Guo F, Newgard C, and Garvey W. Amino Acids and Insulin Sensitivity in Humans: positive correlation between glycine and clamp measures of insulin sensitivity, and negative correlation with leucine/isoleucine, are differentially affected by BMI, RQ, and diabetes. Diabetes. 2014 Feb;63(2):791-800. PMCID: PMC3900549.
- Day K, Waite L, Thalacker-Mercer A, West A, Bamman M, Brooks J, Myers R, and Absher D. Differential DNA methylation with age is a result of both common and tissue-specific effects that are influenced by CpG landscape. Genome Biol. 2013 Sep;14(9):R102. PMCID: PMC4053985.
- Merritt E, Stec M, Thalacker-Mercer A, Windham S, Cross J, Shelley D, Tuggle S, Kosek D, Kim J, and Bamman, M. Heightened muscle inflammation susceptibility may impair regenerative capacity in aging humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2013 Sep;115(6):937-48. PMCID: PMC3764621
- Merritt E, Thalacker-Mercer A, Cross J, Windham S, Thomas S, Bamman M. Increased expression of atrogenes and TWEAK family members after severe burn injury in non-burned human skeletal muscle. J Burn Care Res. 2013 Sep-Oct;34(5):e297-304. PMCID: PMC3770758
- Thalacker-Mercer A, Stec M, Cui X, Cross J, Windham S, and Bamman M. Cluster analysis reveals differential transcript profiles associated with resistance training-induced human skeletal muscle hypertrophy. Physiol Genomics. 2013 Jun 17;45(12):499-507. PMCID: PMC3680779
- Kwak HB, Thalacker-Mercer AE, Anderson EJ, Lin CT, Kane DA, Lee NS, Cortright RN, Bamman MM, and Neufer PD. Simvastatin impairs ADP-stimulated respiration and increases mitochondrial oxidative stress in primary human skeletal myotubes. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011 Oct 25. PMCID: PMC3313473
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, Fleet JC, Craig BA, and Campbell WW. The skeletal muscle transcript profile reflects accommodative responses to inadequate protein intake in younger and older males. J Nutr Biochem. 2010 Nov;21(11):1076-82. PMCID: PMC2891367
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, Dell’Italia LJ, Cui X, Cross JM, and Bamman MM. Differential genomic responses in old vs. young humans despite similar levels of modest muscle damage after resistance loading. Physiological Genomics. Physiol Genomics; 2010 Feb 4;40(3):141-9. PMCID:PMC2825766
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, Petrella JK, Bamman MM. Does habitual dietary intake influence myofiber hypertrophy in response to resistance training? A cluster analysis. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009 Aug;34(4):632-9. PMCID:PMC3188961
- Stull AJ, Iglay HB, Apolzan JW, Thalacker-Mercer AE, and Campbell WW. Liquid and solid meal replacement products differentially affect postprandial appetite and food intake in older humans. J Am Diet Assoc. 2008 Jul;108(7):1226-30. PMCID:PMC2556245
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, Johnson CA, Yarasheski KE, Carnell NS, Campbell WW. Nutrient ingestion, protein intake, and sex, but not age affect albumin synthesis rate in humans. J Nutr 2007 July; 137 (7): 1734-40. PMCID:PMC3885871
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, Fleet JC, Craig BA, Carnell NS, Campbell WW. Inadequate protein intake affects skeletal muscle transcript profiles in older humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2007 May; 85(5):1344-52. PMCID:PMC2447912
Chapters, Reviews, and Proceedings Articles (*corresponding author)
- Gheller BJ, Riddle ES, Lem MR, *Thalacker-Mercer A. Understanding age-related changes in skeletal muscle metabolism: differences between females and males. Annu Rev Nutr. 2016 Jul 17;36:129-56.
- Riddle E, Stipanuk M, and *Thalacker-Mercer A. Amino Acids in Healthy Aging Skeletal Muscle. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2016 Jan 1;8:326-50.
- *Thalacker-Mercer AE and Drummond MJ. Protein metabolism in inactive older adults. New York Academy of Sciences. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2014 Aug 12
- Guoyao Wu, Jessica Fanzo, Dennis D. Miller, Prabhu Pingali, Mark Post, Jean L. Steiner, and Anna E. Thalacker-Mercer. Production and supply of high-quality food protein for human consumption: sustainability, challenge and innovations. NYAS Annals Meeting Reports. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2014 Aug;1321(1):1-19
- Krista Casazza, Lynae J. Hanks, Anna Thalacker-Mercer. Insulin-like growth factor system in different ethnic groups and relationship with growth and health. The Handbook of Growth and Growth Monitoring in Health and Disease.
- Thalacker-Mercer AE, and Campbell WW. Dietary protein intake affects albumin fractional synthesis rate equally in younger and older adults. Nutr Rev. 2008 Feb;66(2):91-5
- Campbell, WW, Carnell, NS, and Thalacker, AE. Protein Metabolism and Requirements. Geriatric Nutrition; The Health Professional’s Handbook. 3rd Ed. 2006 p15-22
Web-based Peer-Reviewed Publications (*corresponding author)
1. *Thalacker-Mercer AE. Counterbalancing Functional Deficits from Acute Illness Hospitalization. The Deep South CME Network, UAB Geriatric Education Center, UAB Division of CME. www.alabamacme.uab.edu/geriatrics.aspx. May 2012.
2. Herrington HL, Lawrence JC, Ponder A, Thalacker-Mercer AE, Willis AS, McLinn J. eight Management in Older Adults. The Deep South CME Network, UAB Geriatric Education Center, UAB Division of CME. www.alabamacme.uab.edu/geriatrics.aspx. November 2012.
While I take every opportunity to teach and learn from others, I am enthusiastic about formal classroom teaching. I recognize that all students are unique in their learning process and therefore, I incorporate multiple tools to relay course material. Additionally, I am committed to training undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in biomedical science. I believe that hands-on, interactive, goal-oriented research training is the best approach to prepare young investigators for a scientific career. Regular meetings are used to encourage goal development, data interpretation, scientific writing and reading, study design, grantsmanship, and troubleshooting. I strive to keep lines of communication open with my mentees, encouraging them to offer suggestions and new insights to protocols and/or outcomes.
NS6320 Regulation of Macronutrient Metabolism
NS3200 Human Biochemistry
NS3410 Human Anatomy and Physiology
BIOG2200--Biology Scholars Program, Faculty Mentor
NS7030--Graduate student presentation, Faculty Mentor
NS4010, BIO2990, BIO4990--Undergraduate research, Faculty Research Mentor
NS8990--Graduate Research, Faculty Mentor
Postdoc 2007-2010 - University of Alabama at Birmingham - Advisor, Marcas Bamman, Ph.D.
Ph.D. 2007 - Nutrition Sciences, Purdue University, Advisor, Wayne Campbell, Ph.D.
B.S. 2000 - Biological Sciences, University of Georgia
Faculty advisor, Nutrition Graduate Student Organization