Inside Information

DNS HelpDesk


For information and resources on Academic Integrity click here.

Back To Top


All accidents and injuries, no matter how minor, are required to be reported through the University injury reporting system. This is reported through the University's Risk Management Office.  The supervisor of an injured employee, the department head or a designated individual within the department must complete all sections of this form within 24 hours after the injury is first reported.

Back To Top


If you have a laptop that will be used outside the local area, you can request an administrative account on the computer. These are available as secondary accounts you can use when the regular work accounts have insufficient permissions for a task, such as loading software, fixing problems or making configuration changes when the computer is abroad.

To request an administrative account, please contact the Computing Services Group (CSG).

Back To Top


If you need an advance for travel expenses you should submit your request to the DNS HelpDesk at least three weeks before you need to have the funds in hand. All travel advances on restricted accounts must be approved by the Division's Finance Coordinator, before they can be processed.

There are two types of advances. A Travel Advance (the most common type of advance) is used to support trips to scientific meetings, etc. A Site Project Advance is used for work conducted at a remote location under a sponsored project. A site project advance can provide for supplies, local travel expenses, food, lodging and costs for local workers. The travel and work must be approved in the budget associated with your sponsored project. All travel advances on restricted accounts must be approved by the Division's Grant and Contract Administrator before they can be processed; we will take care of getting approval for you.

If you have any questions about travel advances, site project advances or travel reimbursements please contact the Help Desk.

Back To Top


Advising Information can be found at the following links:

Back To Top


Announcements are posted on the bulletin board across from the Savage Hall Mailroom (124 Savage Hall). In MVR these notices are posted on the 3rd floor of the main building close to the DNS MVR Mailroom. Please do not post special event posters on the front and back of doors in DNS; this has been deemed a safety hazard.

Back To Top


Laptop computers and portable LCD projectors can be reserved via the DNS HelpDesk. Equipment should be picked-up and returned to 119 Savage Hall. If equipment can not be returned by 4:30 p.m. it must be locked in the office of a faculty member and returned to 119 as soon as possible the next day. Please be sure to schedule adequate time for pick-up, set-up and return of equipment when you are making a reservation.

For urgent AV classroom technologies support please contact Lucas Landaeta at or call 5-6162.

Back To Top


Faculty, staff and graduate students who will be traveling using funds in a Cornell account, should contact the DNS HelpDesk as far in advance of the travel as possible.

Travel Arrangements

  • Faculty, staff and students are responsible for making their own travel arrangements.

  • If you want to direct charge your travel to a Cornell account please contact the Help Desk (119 Savage Hall) to discuss the best way to handle your reservation.

Travel Reimbursements

  • At the conclusion of your travel you should submit all of your original travel receipts to the DNS HelpDesk; the auditors require original receipts. Please use the attached form to summarize your expenses. Answering all of the questions on the form will help to expedite the processing of your reimbursement.

Back To Top


On an annual basis the Director makes appointments to various committees within DNS (Curriculum, Appointments and Tenure, etc.). You will find a list of all committee assignments as well as information on faculty and staff who represent DNS on college and university committees below.

Back To Top


For DNS website, promotional material, photography, video, CUView posting, requests please email the DNS HelpDesk.

Useful Communication Forms:

UPhoto Pricing: 60.00 per hour M-F 8am-5pm, 90.00 per hour Sat-Sun and after 5:00 M-F, 45.00 per digital unit (40 photos per digital Unit).

NOTE: If you wish to have a professional head shot photo with many options, please request through UPhoto.

Back To Top


The Division's computing support is provided through the College of Human Ecology Computer Support Group (CHE-CSG). Their Standards of Technology Support are described in detail on their web page (how to request support, what equipment is supported, the types of support available, when support ends, etc.).

Please remember:

  • To request assistance please submit a request to the CHE Helpdesk.

  • If you are considering purchasing a new computer, printer, scanner, etc. you should know that the CHE-CSG can assist you in determining what equipment should be purchased to meet your needs. Request assistance in advance - in some cases they can provide the required quote you need to facilitate the purchase.

  • If you are contemplating purchasing new software you should check with the CHE-CSG before making any purchase. The CHE-CGS may be able to provide the software you need at a reduced cost or for free. They can also recommend the best place to purchase software that they are not able to provide.

  • Microsoft Office is available - through the Work-at-home agreement - to all Cornell employees for $9.95 per license. More information about Work-at-home can be found at the Cornell IT website.


Information at Cornell is primarily communicated via e-mail so it's important that you check your e-mail regularly.

Graduate Computing Facility

DNS maintains a computer facility in the basement of Savage Hall (B39) which can be used by all DNS graduate students. Contact Al Armstrong (B22 Savage) to obtain access to this facility. We provide two computers and two printers in this facility which are connected to the internet and are equipped with Bear Access as well as various software including word processors, spreadsheets, graphics, and statistical programs.

CIT also operates several facilities on campus which have Macs and PCs, and where you will be able to print in color and on posters.

Computer Purchases

  1. Department staff and faculty should engage with the CSG to collaboratively define their computer technology needs regardless of the source of funds (college or dept)

  2. The CSG will provide a quote for approval that meets the needs expressed

  3. For dept funded items, the department will provide an account number and business reason for the equipment

  4. For all purchases, the CSG will process the e-shop purchase

  5. The equipment will be shipped to the CSG and be delivered to the CSG storage room

  6. The CSG will notify the department when the equipment is configured and operational

Back To Top


Deliveries made to Savage Hall and Kinzelberg Hall are received in the Office of Administrative Support (119 Savage Hall). You will be contacted when a package in your name has been delivered.

It's important that the packing slip enclosed in or affixed to your package be removed and submitted to the OAS immediately upon receipt. Please be sure to write your account number on the receipt for the OAS to include when sending to the Business Service Center.

Back To Top


Cornell's Emergency Management Plan.


If you have a facilities emergency during normal business hours you should contact Al Armstrong at 255-7609 or at 351-7463. If you have a facilities related emergency after hours or on the weekend please contact Al at 351-7463. If you aren't able to reach Al please call 255-5322. This number connects you the Customer Service Office of the University's Facilities Management group. They will ask you for your name, phone number, and the description and location of the emergency. They will then dispatch the appropriate personnel for facility and utility related problems to deal with the emergency. In the event you need to call the Customer Service Office over the weekend or after business hours please let Al Armstrong know about the call as soon as you can.

Back To Top


Fax machines are located in each DNS mailroom (124 Savage and 341 MVR). The fax number in the Savage Hall mailroom is 5-1033. The fax number in the MVR mailroom is 5-0178. To send a fax to another campus fax machine just dial the last five digits of the campus phone number (beginning with the prefix 253-, 254-, or 255-). It's necessary to dial 9 for an outside line for any calls made outside of campus. To send a local fax dial 9 and the 7-digit number. Personal long-distance faxes can be sent by using a prepaid calling card. Business long-distance faxes can be direct charged to a Cornell account by using an authorization code. If you have funds in a Cornell account, or your supervisor/advisor authorizes you to use his/her account, you should contact the DNS HelpDesk to have a telephone/fax authorization code established for your use.

Back To Top


In the event of a fire that is not out of control activate an alarm, call the University Police by picking up a red phone in the corridor, or by calling 5-1111, or calling the Ithaca Fire Department at 273-8000, and then exit the building via the stairs.

Fire extinguishers are located in stairwells and labs. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the locations of fire alarms, the red emergency phones in the corridors and the location of fire extinguishers.

Back To Top


In May of 2009 a new student appointment process was launched by the College of Human Ecology. Instead of submitting a paper appointment form - please follow the steps outlined below to hire student employees:

  1. Using Mozilla Firefox as your browser, click here.

  2. Click "New Appointment Form" tab on the top of the page. Fill in all of the boxes that appear in yellow -- this information is required. Please also indicate what account you would like to charge, whether or not your student has FWS, and if they are working in a lab and/or with chemicals. These boxes aren't yellow - but they should be.

  3. Once you hit the "submit" button in the bottom right-hand corner Brenda Daniels will be notified by e-mail that she needs to review and approve your appointment. After she approves the appointment the student will receive e-mail confirmation of their appointment. That e-mail will provide links to various forms they may be required to submit.

Back To Top


General Laboratory Safety

The most important aspect of working in a laboratory is safety. The Division of Nutritional Sciences stresses safety in its laboratories at all times. Everyone working in a laboratory must comply with the OSHA Laboratory Standard and the Cornell Chemical Hygiene Plan. Besides being familiar with these guidelines, you should also be familiar with the location of the Cornell University Laboratory Safety Manual and Chemical Hygiene Plan. There is a hard copy of this document in room 124 Savage Hall on the shelf to the left as you enter. The internet location is: Laboratory workers should check with their professors about the toxicity of substances used in their laboratory and follow the procedures outlined in their laboratory protocols and/or Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Nearly all chemicals in the laboratory will have a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) with important information about each chemical. Laboratory workers need to know how to access the MSDS for any chemical they use. The MSDS access may be either a bookmarked internet location on a lab computer or a hard copy located in a binder in the lab.

Chemical Safety Training

Every person who will be working in a laboratory is required to take the safety classes "Cornell Laboratory Safety" and "Chemical Waste Disposal". These are both on-line classes which can be accessed through the Cornell EH&S training website. Other training may be appropriate depending on the work being done. Your training needs can be determined using the training tool on that same site.

If you will be working in a laboratory you should know that:

  • No food or beverages should be consumed in the laboratory or stored in laboratory refrigerators. Personal Protective Equipment "PPE" (lab coats, aprons, gloves, shoes and goggles) should be worn in any potentially hazardous situation. Open toe shoes are not safe to wear in a laboratory. Your first line of defense from any chemical, radioactive, or medical contamination is protective clothing. Proper eye protection must be worn by all students, instructors, and visitors in any potentially hazardous situations. Each laboratory should be equipped with all the necessary PPE. The last individual to leave a laboratory is responsible for closing the laboratory at the end of the day by making sure that gas, lights, water and all appropriate equipment are turned off and that windows are closed. If equipment must be left running overnight or during a weekend, the user must post his/her name and telephone number in a prominent place. Flooding in laboratories can cause extensive damage; water should be turned off at night unless explicit permission is obtained by the professorial faculty member responsible for the laboratory. If you have permission from the responsible faculty member to leave water running overnight you should make sure that all hose connections are securely fastened and that sink drains have no foreign debris to clog them. Remove all personal protective equipment prior to leaving the lab.

  • All gas tanks, full or empty, must be properly chained to a wall or bench. When tanks are moved, they should be securely chained to a hand truck designed for this purpose. Gas tanks cannot be stored in corridors.

  • No electrical appliances brought from home should be used in any laboratory without approval from the DNS Facilities Manager, Al Armstrong. Each principal investigator (PI) in DNS is responsible for ordering and managing the use of controlled substances, if required as part of a research project. This means the PO must acquire both a New York State (NYS) and Federal license before any controlled substance (as defined by NYS and Federal law) can be ordered. The NYS license must be acquired before the Federal license can be obtained. The NYS application must be submitted by mail. Once the NYS license is obtained, the PI can obtain the Federal license online. In applying for these licenses, the PI should choose the Class 4 Researcher classification. The PI should submit a CV and a controlled substance protocol as part of the NYS application. Also, the PI should claim exemption from the fees for both the NYS and Federal licenses, since the Contract Colleges at Cornell are part of SUNY, a state institution.

  • A PI should plan for at least 6-8 weeks time to obtain these licenses.If you have questions or concerns about laboratory safety and training, including proper waste disposal procedures, contact Al Armstrong (Co-DSR and Facilities Manager).

  • (Co-Designated Safety Representative, "DSR")

Back To Top


The Division maintains the following list-serves:

These list-serves are used to distribute information about seminars, special events and other important information. Faculty and staff are added to the appropriate list-serve(s) when they join the DNS.

Back To Top


204 Savage Hall contains a kitchen area, and a dining area. A refrigerator and microwave are also available for your use. If you use the refrigerator please label your food with your name and the date. Items that are not clearly marked with your name and a date will be disposed of, container and all, every other Wednesday morning. Please be aware that storing food in any laboratory refrigerator is prohibited by law. All users of the refrigerator and microwave in 204 Savage should participate in keeping them clean. The lunchroom is used by everyone in the Division, so please clean-up after yourself.

Back To Top


DNS has mailrooms located at 124 Savage Hall and 341 MVR. Outgoing mail and campus mail may be deposited in either location. Outgoing mail and campus mail may also be deposited in the CHE mailroom located in the sub-basement of MVR. There is a full-service U.S. Post Office in the Industrial and Labor Relations School . Please do not use your office address for personal mail or deliveries.

Faculty and staff in Savage and Kinzelberg Hall have mailboxes or mail folders in room 124 Savage Hall. Graduate students with an office in Savage or Kinzelberg Hall also have mail folders in 124 Savage Hall.

Faculty and staff in MVR have mailboxes in 339B MVR. Graduate students with an office in MVR have mailboxes in the hallway outside of 339B MVR.

Please have your FedEx shipments in 119 Savage by 2:00 PM Monday through Friday. This will allow us time to prepare labels and schedule pickups for 3:00 PM. Please fill out this form for every package to be shipped.

Back To Top


Jean Miller is a notary public. Please contact her for a time to meet with her if you need something notarized. If Jean is not available the DNS Helpdesk can offer alternatives from a list of notaries on campus.


Faculty and staff receive office keys on their first day of work. Graduate students receive office keys at their DNS orientation. Electronic access to MVR or Savage/Kinzelberg Hall must be arranged through Al Armstrong. Al will need your employee or student ID number to arrange access.

Access to the Graduate Student Computing Facility is arranged through Francoise Vermeylen (B11 Savage Hall, 5-8211).

Back To Top


The Division provides faculty, staff and graduate students with basic office supplies. If you need a small quantity of any item on the please basic office supplies list submit your request via the DNS HelpDesk. You can stop by 119 Savage to collect these items if you need them immediately. If you use large quantities of any office supply to conduct your research then you should order those supplies and charge them to the appropriate account. Office supplies not listed on the basic office supplies list are not provided at the Division's expense.

Back To Top


The Office of Administrative Support maintains a small supply of permits for visitors that are here for special Division meetings or events (legislator visits, meetings with the Director, etc.). These permits are not available for seminar speakers, interviews, or regular meetings without an account number to which the cost can be charged.

Vendors and interviewees are expected to purchase their own permit at a traffic booth. Visitors who are seminar speakers can be provided with a permit by OAS at the request of the hosting faculty member. Visitors who are here to participate in a meeting or workshop can be either provided with a permit (courtesy of their host at their hosts expense) or asked to purchase a permit at one of the traffic booths on campus; when appropriate this expense can be reimbursed along with their other expenses.

If you would like to order visitor permit you may do so via the DNS HelpDesk. Please remember to include the account number to avoid delays.

Parking options for visitors is limited. Many spots that were previously designated for visitors have been converted to FLEX parking spots and are limited to two hour parking. One of the closest places for visitors to park is on the lower level of Hoy Parking Garage. Visitors also have the option of parking at the metered lot across of the Dairy Bar on Tower Road but they must use a credit card.

Back To Top


Faculty, exempt staff and graduate assistants are paid semi-monthly, on the 15th and the last day of the month. Non-exempt staff are paid bi-weekly. If you're paid semi-monthly or bi-weekly you can arrange direct deposit.

Pay advices (for checks that are direct deposited) are distributed to individual mailboxes. Pay checks are mailed directly to your home address.

Graduate students who are awarded fellowships, scholarships and traineeships receive checks in a lump-sum payment at the beginning of each semester. Students may sign up for direct deposit. New student checks will be available at new student registration at Bartels Field House. Continuing students will be notified by DoraLee Knuppenburg (B19 Savage Hall, 5-2628) when they may pick-up checks in person at the Graduate School Fellowship Office (155 Caldwell Hall). Students must be registered to receive fellowship stipends. Students picking up checks in person must present a valid Cornell ID. Most academic-year fellowships will be paid in two installments; approximately one half of the stipend is paid at the beginning of each semester. Most twelve-month fellowships are paid in three installments, as follows: four months of stipend at the beginning of the Fall semester (late August), five months of stipend at the beginning of the Spring semester (late January), and three months of stipend in early June. Please direct questions concerning paychecks to Kathy Carpenter (5-2610) in the College of Human Ecology 's Business Service Center.   Graduate students who are awarded fellowships, scholarships and traineeships should direct questions regarding stipend payments to DoraLee Knuppenburg (B19 Savage Hall, 5-2628).

Back To Top


For the template of a peer review letter, download this [pdf].

Back To Top


Copies can be made in both the MVR and Savage Hall mailrooms using a copier authorization code. If you're copying materials for your faculty supervisor/advisor you should ask for his/her copier authorization code. Copies are billed to the authorization code at .07 cents per black and white copy and 0.32 cents per color copy. Contact the OAS (119 Savage Hall) via the DNS HelpDesk to request a copier authorization code.

Large copy jobs MUST be outsourced. A large copy or print job are those that are 50 pages or more (or fewer pages if multiple functions are required, i.e. 2-sided, 3-hole punched stapled etc...). Please allow at least 24 hours for service.

Photocopying services are also available via eShop through the following vendors:

Gnomon Copy - Gnomon will deliver; please try for 24-48 hours advance notice. Copy jobs can be sent by hard-copy or electronically; please contact the DNS HelpDesk to place orders.

FedEx Office - This is a 24 hour service and a good service to use if you will need a job delivered out of town or less than 24 hours.

If you have not completed the e-shop training, please feel free to submit your request via the DNS HelpDesk.

Back To Top


Faculty, staff and graduate students who will be purchasing items or services using funds in a Cornell account should contact the DNS HelpDesk in the Office of Administrative Support (5-0130; 119 Savage Hall).

Back To Top


Rooms 100, 200, 232, 332, and 403 Savage Hall can be reserved in accordance with University Policy via the DNS HelpDesk. Many rooms are available for reservation in MVR Hall; please contact Kenna Snow-Tompkins (185 MVR Hall; 5-1833) for MVR Hall room reservations.

Back To Top


After business hours, on holidays, and on weekends, the buildings are locked. Please do not prop open outside doors or let strangers into the buildings. This is to prevent theft, as well as for your personal safety. In the event of an emergency you should call the University Police by dialing 911, picking up one of the red phones in the corridors, or by dialing 5-1111. If you're using a cell phone to place a call about an emergency DO NOT call 911 – you must dial 255-1111 instead.

Do not leave your valuables lying around. Thefts should be reported immediately to the University Police (5-1111) and to Al Armstrong, (B22 Savage; 5-7609), Division Facilities Manager.

If you lock yourself out of your office during the day please visit 119 Savage If you lock yourself out of your office after hours, call the University Police (5-1111). DO NOT use a red emergency phone to make this call.

Back To Top


One of the Division's major benefits is its ongoing nutritional research. The faculty and students come from all over the world and their interests cover everything from food policy to molecular biology (and many topics within that range). Many weekly seminars offer an opportunity to learn more about your particular area of interest, but more importantly, to broaden your perspective about the interdisciplinary field of nutritional sciences. A weekly schedule is posted for all seminars on the first floor of Savage Hall and next to the mail boxes on the third floor of MVR Hall.

Field Seminars are held every Monday at 4:00 p.m. in 100 Savage. Field seminars cover a wide variety of topics by visiting experts as well as DNS faculty or graduate students. Attendance at this seminar is an important part of meeting faculty and other students and discussing a variety of issues: everything from policy-making to molecular biology. All graduate students and faculty are encouraged to attend.

Other DNS Seminars:

  • Special nutrition seminars and endowed seminars

  • Program in Nutrition Seminar (PIN) (NS 6980)

    • Fall, spring. Managed by Kate Dickin
  • Seminar in Nutritional Sciences (NS 7030)

    • Fall, spring. 1 credit. S-U grades only. Presentations of original articles pertinent to the nutritional sciences. Students read and learn how to critically analyze and interpret original articles published in a wide variety of journals. Students learn how to make professional presentations to a broad audience and how to critique the presentations given by others.

The Division receives notices about other seminars on campus. These notices are posted on a seminar bulletin board on the 1 st floor of Savage Hall and the 3 rd Floor of MVR Hall's main building.

Back To Top


Researchers in the Division of Nutritional Sciences use a wide spectrum of statistical tools to describe, analyze and report their data. Much of the research conducted requires the use of substantial computing on microcomputers and shared computers.

The Cornell Statistical Consulting Unit provides extensive services and instruction to support research and undergraduate and graduate studies, including: research design, data acquisition, data manipulation, basic data analysis, planning and interpreting statistical analysis, implementing statistical analysis, and provision of statistical software.

The rationale for providing these services is that statistical design and statistical software are complicated. Knowing conceptually which analyses should be performed is essential but not sufficient. It is also necessary to know how to get software to perform those analyses. Furthermore, course work in statistics provides essential background for students, but students typically do not really begin to understand statistics until they apply it to their own work. Consequently, from an educational perspective, it is important that expertise in statistics and in the implementation of statistical analysis is available throughout the time that students are conducting their research.

Statistical Consulting: The Cornell Statistical Consulting Unit (CSCU) is a professional service group that aims to strengthen research on campus by assisting scholars with using statistical methods in their research in the most optimal way. The statistical consulting, instructional, and infrastructure services are coordinated to provide advice and support the use and learning of the latest methodology for undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and the entire research community. CSCU offers a pool of consultants, faculty and staff statisticians, with a vast array of statistical background, talent and expertise. CSCU provides researchers with statistical consultation through daily walk-in sessions and by appointment. Assistance is provided with study design and preparation of grant proposals, planning and implementation of statistical analysis, interpretation of results and preparation and revision of manuscripts. CSCU also offers workshops introducing a vast area of statistical techniques and also considers contract work, including performing statistical analysis, for clients. The Cornell Institute for Social and Economic Research (CISER) provides assistance with use of data files and statistical analysis software, and training to all of our faculty and graduate students. CISER maintains a data archive that is one of the foremost in the country for social science data and other government-collected data sets.

To schedule an appointment contact Francoise Vermeylen (5-8211, B11 Savage). The CSCU also hold walk-in consulting in the office every day from 1:30 to 2:00 PM for questions that take less than ten minutes to resolve. More information about the office is available at the web site.

The Division strongly encourages graduate students to take one or two semesters of statistics, depending upon concentration, in the first academic year. Graduate students in the field of nutrition take BTRY 601 (Statistical Methods 1) in the Fall, and either BTRY 602 (Statistical Methods II) or AEM 710 (Econometrics 1) in the Spring.

Back To Top


International Travel [ pdf]

According to University Policy we are required to collect the following information before any foreign travel is started:

  • Travel departure dates and return dates
  • Flight information
  • Lodging information
  • Copy of Passport
  • International cell phone number or contact information

Your trip also needs to be registered with the State Department:

If you plan to seek reimbursement for your business related travel you will need to submit this form along with ORIGINAL receipts to the

OAS does not make travel arrangements. Faculty, students and guests are expected to make their own travel arrangements. AAA is available for you to use to make travel arrangements.


No electrical appliances brought from home should be used in any office or laboratory without approval from the DNS Facilities Manager, Al Armstrong (B22 Savage, 5-7609).


Click here for DNS' inclement weather policy.


Faculty in the College often find it valuable to work with visiting non-degree students. Please note:

  • All non-degree students must possess education credentials equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree and, at a minimum, all international non-degree students must be pursuing graduate-level studies in their home country
  • International applicants must demonstrate English proficiency, meeting the requirements outlined by the Graduate School
  • Cornell standards of academic integrity apply
  • Tuition is required (although a 50% waiver can be requested, as noted below) and the student must purchase SHIP health insurance
  • Non-degree visiting students can stay for a maximum of 2 semesters

When seeking to admit a non-degree student, please follow the following procedures:

  • The potential graduate student must identify at least one faculty member who will work with and mentor him/her
  • That faculty member informs the DGS that the potential student will be applying as a non-degree student
  • The potential graduate student submits application materials to the Grad School using the Quick Applications section on the Graduate School Admissions site. The Grad School passes this material to the DGS
  • The DGS and any relevant admissions committee reviews this material and determines whether to admit the person as a non-degree student
  • Prior to admitting the student, the DGS contacts the College Associate Dean to request a 50% tuition waiver. The DGS should indicate that the student has been admitted into the field following the procedures above

Updated 02/11/16 qw79