Minor in Nutrition and Health

Download the Nutrition and Health Minor Intent Form [pdf]

The Minor in Nutrition and Health will consist of NS 1150 plus 9 credits of didactic NS courses listed below. Students must choose the 9 cr. of NS courses from the list. Courses must be completed as letter grade, with a passing grade. All courses are 3 credits unless otherwise indicated in parenthesis. No Special Studies (NS 4000-4010-4020-4030) or transfer credit courses may be used.

Global Perspectives on Human Health

  • NS 3060 Nutrition and Global Health (Fall, odd years)
  • NS 4450 Toward a Sustainable Global Food System: Food Policy for Developing Countries (Fall)
  • NS 4480 Economics of Food and Malnutrition (also AEM 4485) (Spring)
  • NS 4570 Health, Poverty, and Inequality: A Global Perspective (also ECON 4740) (Fall, even years)
Public Health and Nutrition

  • NS 4500 Public Health Nutrition (Spring)
  • NS 3600 Epidemiology (Fall)
Food Quality and Food Service Management

  • NS 2470 Food for Contemporary Living (2) (Fall, Spring)
  • NS 3450 Introduction to Physicochemical and Biological Aspects of Foods (also FDSC 2000) (Fall)
Human Health and Nutrition

  • NS 1220 Nutrition and the Life Cycle (Spring)
  • NS 2750 Human Biology and Evolution (also ANTHR 2750) (Fall)
  • NS 3150 Obesity and the Regulation of Body Weight (also PSYCH 3150) (Spring, even years)
  • NS 3220 Maternal and Child Nutrition (Restricted – priority given to Dietetics students) (Spring, odd years)
  • NS 3410 Human Anatomy and Physiology, lecture (4) (Spring)
  • NS 4410 Nutrition and Disease (4) (Fall)
  • NS 4420 Implementation of Nutrition Care (Restricted – priority given to Senior Dietetics students) (Fall)
  • NS 4444 Sports Nutrition and Supplements: Concepts and Evidence (Spring)
Nutritional Biochemistry

  • NS 3200 Introduction to Human Biochemistry (4) (Fall)
  • NS 3310 Nutrient Metabolism (4) (Spring)
  • NS 3320 Methods in Nutritional Sciences (Restricted – priority given to Senior Nutrition/Dietetics students) (Fall)
  • NS 4310 Mineral Nutrition and Chronic Disease  (Fall)
  • NS 4900 Manipulating the Mouse Genome (also BIOMG 4900) (1) (Fall)
Psychological and Social Influences on Human Nutrition

  • NS 2450 Social Science Perspectives on Food and Nutrition (Fall)
  • NS 4250 Nutrition Communications and Counseling (Restricted – priority given to Senior Dietetics students) (Spring)


  • To be considered for the Minor in Nutrition and Health, students must:
  • (1) not be enrolled in our major programs, including NS-CALS, NS-CHE, HBHS, GPHS, and Biological Sciences with a Concentration in Human Nutrition
  • (2) fill out and submit a copy of the top half of the form, “Intention to Minor in Nutrition and Health,” to the Undergraduate Student Services Assistant in B21 Savage (blank forms can be found in the sorter outside of B21 Savage)
  • (3) keep a copy of the form for yourself and give a copy to your major advisor.

Students will be personally responsible for planning their minor program of study in conjunction with their advisor in their major.

Students and advisors in other departments should contact Dr. Cha-Sook You, the Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Division of Nutritional Sciences, at cy12@cornell.edu, or Terry Mingle ( tpm2@cornell.edu) in B21 Savage Hall if they have questions about our courses

  • To graduate with a minor in Nutrition and Health, you must submit the following materials to the DNS Academic Affairs Office, B21 Savage, by March 15th of your Senior year.
  • (1) A copy of your "Intention to Minor in Nutrition and Health" form with the bottom half ("Application to Graduate with a Minor in Nutrition & Health" section) completed - please list the courses you have taken toward the minor, and the grades you received for each. If you are currently enrolled in a course, just list the course, and leave the grade field blank - we will check your grade at the end of the semester and fill it in.
  • (2) An "Application to Graduate" form (IF your college requires this), which DNS will verify and sign so that you can turn it in to your College Registrar's Office.

When you have completed all of your courses, the DNS Academic Affairs Office will review your transcript (which we can access online – you do not need to provide a copy to us), and then (if complete), we will verify with your Registrar’s Office that the requirements for the Minor in Nutrition & Health have been completed. Your college’s Registrar will then see that the minor gets added to your transcript (it will not appear on your diploma, just on your transcript). If there are any problems regarding completion, we will contact you.