|3423 Martha Van Rensselaer Hall |
|Phone: (607) 255-2145 Fax: (607) 255-0305|
|View Cornell University Contact Info|
Joseph Laquatra, Ph.D., Professor, focuses his teaching and research efforts on sustainable aspects of housing with emphases on residential energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and construction site waste management. As an Extension Housing Specialist, Joe develops and implements educational programs on these and other topics through the statewide network of Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE). One of these, the Consumer Education Program for Residential Energy Efficiency, has engaged 53 Local Associations of CCE since its inception in 2003. He has conducted educational programs for home builders in partnership with the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). He has also taught builders, engineers, architects, and government officials in Poland, Russia, and Japan. Joe is a past President of the Housing Education and Research Association and a past chair of the National Consortium of Housing Research Centers. He is listed in Who's Who Among American Teachers and Educators (11th edition, 2006-07), Who's Who in America (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), Who's Who in the World (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014), and Who's Who in Collegiate Faculty (2010/2011).
|Current Professional Activities:|
- Past Chair, National Consortium of Housing Research Centers
- Chair, Excellence in Building Science Education Award, National Consortium of Housing Research Centers
- Outreach Team Leader, New York State Center of Excellence
- Training Partner, National Center for Healthy Housing and the New York State Department of Health, Essentials for Healthy Homes Practitioners
- Member, Editorial Review Board, Housing and Society
- Delegate, Extension Disaster Education Network
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Architectural Engineering
- Scientific Committee Member, Second Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, University Park, PA, February 19-20, 2014
- Supervisor, Marie Curie Fellow, Ivan Alvarez-Leon, 2014-2016
|Current Research Activities:|
Research focus is on housing sustainability, with particular emphases on energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and cnstruction site waste management.
Principal Investigator, Residential Energy Efficiency and Indoor Air Quality
Energy Enhancements in Affordable Housing: Retrofits, Education, and Post-Construction
|Current Extension Activities:|
Extension/Outreach focus is on practical applications of research focus.
- Principal Investigator, Consumer Education Program for Residential Energy Efficiency. Funding source: New York State Energy Research and Development Authority.
- Principal Investigator, Energy Efficiency and Indoor Environmental Quality, Funding Source: Smith-Lever (competitive).
- Training Partner, National Center for Healthy Housing and the New York State Department of Health: Essentials for Healthy Homes Practitioners.
- Ph.D. 1984 - Cornell University
Consumer Economics and Housing
- M.S. 1981 - Cornell University
Consumer Economics and Housing
- B.S. 1974 - Cornell University
Energy FAQ's: http://www.human.cornell.edu/dea/outreach/upload/FAQs-txt-for-w-page-8-2012.pdf
Pennsylvania Recycling Markets Center, Technology Tuesday Webinar, Alternative Uses for Scrap Gypsum Wallboard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouodD_D-QkY&feature=youtu.be
Department Extension Leader, DEA
Lead Co-Chair, Family Economic Resource Management Program Work Team, Cornell Cooperative Extension
Laquatra, J. (2015). Housing and community sustainability, in Anacker, K.; Carswell, A.T.; Tremblay, K.R.; Kirby, S.D. (eds.) Introduction to Housing. Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, under review.
Laquatra, J. (2015). The need for building science education, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, in press.
Laquatra,J. and Pierce, M. (2014). Alternatives to landfilling construction and demolition debris. Proceedings of the Institute of Industrial Engineering Conference and Expo, Montreal, May 31 – June 3; pp. 1381-1390.
Memari, A., Huelman, P., Iulo, L., Laquatra, J., Martin, C., McCoy, A., Nahmens, I., and Williamson, T. (2014). ”Residential Building Construction: State-of-the-Art Review.” Journal of Architectural Engineering, 20(4), SPECIAL SECTION: Housing and Residential Building Construction, pp. 1 - 38. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AE.1943-5568.0000157
Laquatra, J. (2014). Lead in household products, in S.M. Snedeker (ed.) Toxicants in Plastics and Paper: Exposure and Health Risks to Consumers from Household Products and Food Packaging, Molecular and Integrative Technology, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4471-6500-2_9; London: Springer-Verlag: 231-243.
Laquatra, J. and Pierce, M. (2014). Waste management at the residential construction site. Cityscape, 16(1): 313-317.
sustainable housing, residential energy efficiency, indoor environmental quality, construction site waste management, residential sprawl
|The information on this bio page is taken from the CHE Annual Report.|