Children Visiting Orchard

Internal Transfer

Carefully consider your interests and academic strengths as you begin to explore the College of Human Ecology and our majors as a prospective internal transfer. Also, review the following as you prepare for the internal transfer process. Prospective Internal Transfers are required to meet with a Human Ecology Admissions Counselor well in advance of applying.

Current College of Human Ecology students who want to change to a different College of Human Ecology major should meet with an advisor in the Human Ecology Office of Student and Career Development to discuss the process to change a major. 

Internal transfer eligibility for the College of Human Ecology

Currently enrolled/matriculated Cornell University freshmen and sophomores who are interested in transferring to the College of Human Ecology can apply for an internal transfer. Juniors are rarely considered for internal transfer.

Students must be in good academic, character, and disciplinary standing with Cornell University and their home college, and not have any pending status inquiries at the time of application.

Qualified premed/prehealth candidates should apply by the end of their freshmen year only. High performing premed/prehealth sophomores might be considered. The Chemistry 2070-2080 sequence must be completed or in progress at the time of application.

The Global and Public Health Sciences major is not accepting internal transfers.

Internal transfer selection criteria for the College of Human Ecology

The internal transfer process is selective and competitive. Admission to the Human Biology, Health, and Society (HBHS) major is extremely competitive, and only students who meet the coursework and GPA requirements should apply.

Internal transfer applicants should have: 

1) a minimum Cornell University cumulative GPA of 3.0;
2) taken/in progress at least one Human Ecology course in your intended major plus appropriate liberal arts foundation courses (Freshman Writing Seminars, math, and core lab science; carefully review our coursework requirements document for more information); and
3) provided evidence of a strong, well-considered connection between your interests and your target major in the application.

Coursework planning for an internal transfer
Those interested in applying for an internal transfer will need to pre-enroll for classes for the next semester before knowing their application decision. Students should pre-enroll for classes that are appropriate for their current college, major and any pre-professional preparation, as well as include coursework that is consistent with their College of Human Ecology interests (see coursework requirements document). Be sure to make note of the coursework that our Admissions Counselors recommend during your initial appointment. Coursework changes can be made during the add/drop period of the next semester if needed.

Internal transfer application process
Prospective Internal Transfers are required to meet with a Human Ecology Admissions Counselor well in advance of applying. Candidates should be prepared to have a comprehensive discussion regarding their academic record/transcript and their interests. A candidate's year/term, transcript, and interests will dictate specific coursework and application advising. Meeting with a College of Human Ecology Admissions Counselor is the best place for coursework advising. Contact 607-255-5471 or visit the CHE Office of Admissions in 170 Martha Van Rensselaer Hall to schedule an appointment.

An online application is required for all applicants to the College of Human Ecology. 

A design supplement is required for those applying to the Design and Environmental Analysis major or the Fashion Design Management program. Follow the instructions for your target program as linked.

In addition to meeting with an Admissions Counselor in the College of Human Ecology Office of Admissions, you can make an appointment with the Office of Internal Transfer and Concurrent Degrees in 222 Computing & Communications Center (CCC) for more information about the application process. Meeting with a College of Human Ecology Admissions Counselor is the best opportunity for coursework advising.

Application deadlines (online application and design supplements as indicated above): the last day of classes of the semester prior to your target enrollment semester.

Admissions decisions

Internal transfer application decisions are made after final grades for the current semester have been received. Decision letters will be mailed to the address noted on your application. There is no appeal process.

Conditional transfer requirements

See below for the requirements of the Conditional Transfer semester. Your potential admission to the college for the following semester is contingent upon successful completion of the listed requirements.

1) Your Conditional Transfer semester course schedule must be approved by a College of Human Ecology Admissions Counselor by the end of the first week of classes. Any changes to your academic schedule throughout the semester must also be pre-approved.
   a) All courses should be consistent with the requirements in your proposed major.
   b) At least half of your academic credits must be College of Human Ecology courses and must be taken for a letter

2) Complete 12 -- 15 academic credits and earn a minimum semester grade point average of 3.0 with B+ or better grades in courses related to your College of Human Ecology major.

3) Remain in good academic and character standing.