Current College of Human Ecology students who want to change to a different College of Human Ecology major should meet with an advisor in the Human Ecology Office of Student and Career Development to discuss the process to change a major.
Internal transfer eligibility for the College of Human Ecology
Currently enrolled/matriculated Cornell University freshmen and sophomores who are interested in transferring to the College of Human Ecology can apply for an internal transfer. Juniors are rarely considered for internal transfer. It is unlikely that juniors will be able to complete degree requirements in time to graduate.
Qualified premed/prehealth candidates should apply at the end of their freshmen year only. High performing premed/prehealth sophomores might be considered. The Chemistry 2070-2080 sequence must be in progress at the time of application.
The Global and Public Health Sciences major is not accepting internal transfers.
Internal transfer selection criteria for the College of Human Ecology
The internal transfer process is selective and competitive. Admission to the Human Biology, Health, and Society (HBHS) major is extremely competitive, and only students who meet the coursework and GPA requirements should apply.
Internal transfer applicants should have:
1) a minimum Cornell University cumulative GPA of 3.0;
2) taken/in progress
3) provided evidence of a strong, well-considered connection between your interests and your target major in the application.
Internal transfer application process
An online application is required for all applicants to the College of Human Ecology.
A design supplement is required for those applying to the Design and Environmental Analysis major or the Fashion Design Management program. Follow the instructions for your target program as linked.
In addition to meeting with an Admissions Counselor in the College of Human Ecology Office of Admissions, y
Application deadlines (online application and design supplements as indicated above): the last day of classes of the semester prior to your target enrollment semester.
Internal transfer application decisions are made after final grades for the current semester have been received. Decision letters will be mailed to the address noted on your application. There is no appeal process.
Conditional transfer requirements
See below for the requirements of the Conditional Transfer semester. Your potential admission to the college for the following semester is contingent upon successful completion of the listed requirements.
1) Your Conditional Transfer semester course schedule must be approved by a College of Human Ecology Admissions Counselor by the end of the first week of classes. Any changes to your academic schedule throughout the semester must also be pre-approved.
a) All courses should be consistent with the requirements in your proposed major.
b) At least half of your academic credits must be College of Human Ecology courses and must be taken for a letter
2) Complete 12 -- 15 academic credits and earn a minimum semester grade point average of 3.0 with B+ or better grades in courses related to your College of Human Ecology major.
3) Remain in good academic and character standing.