Minor in Nutrition and Health

Download the Nutrition and Health Minor Intent Form [pdf]

The Minor in Nutrition and Health will consist of NS 1150 plus 9 credits of didactic NS courses listed below. Students must choose the 9 cr. of NS courses from the list. Courses must be completed as letter grade with a minimum grade of C. All courses are 3 credits unless otherwise indicated in parenthesis. Bracketed courses may require instructors’ permission to enroll. No Special Studies (NS 4000-4010-4020-4030) or transfer credit courses may be used.

Global Perspectives on Human Health

  • NS 3060 Nutritional Problems of Developing Nations
  • NS 4450 Toward a Sustainable Global Food System: Food Policy for Developing Countries
  • NS 4570 Economics of Hunger and Malnutrition (also ECON 4740)
Public Health and Nutrition

  • NS 4500 Public Health Nutrition (2)
  • NS 3500 Epidemiology in Context
Food Quality and Food Service Management

  • NS 2470 Food for Contemporary Living (2)
  • NS 3450 Nutritional and Physicochemical Aspects of Food (also FDSC 2000)
Human Health and Nutrition

  • NS 1220 Nutrition and the Life Cycle
  • NS 2750 Human Biology and Evolution (also ANTHR 2750)
  • NS 3150 Obesity and the Regulation of Body Weight (also PSYC 3150)
  • NS 3220 Maternal and Child Nutrition
  • NS 3410 Human Anatomy and Physiology, lecture
  • NS 4315 Nutrient Requirements and Recommendations: Biological Aspects
  • NS 4370 Nutrition, Immunology and Infectious Diseases
  • NS 4410 Nutrition and Disease
  • [NS 4420 Implementation of Nutrition Care]
  • NS 4444 Sports Nutrition and Supplements: Concepts and Evidence
Nutritional Biochemistry

  • NS 3200 Introduction to Human Biochemistry 
  • NS 3310 Physiological and Biochemical Bases of Human Nutrition 
  • NS 3320 Methods in Nutritional Sciences
  • NS 4130 Nutritional Genomics-Evolution and Environment
  • NS 4310 Mineral Nutrition and Chronic Disease 
  • NS 4750 Molecular Nutrition and Development (also BIOAP 4750)
  • NS 4900 Manipulating the Mouse Genome (also BIOMG 4900)
Psychological and Social Influences on Human Nutrition

  • NS 2450 Social Science Perspectives on Food and Nutrition 
  • NS 3470 Human Growth and Development: Biological and Behavioral Interactions (also HD 3470 & BSOC 3471)
  • NS 4250 Nutrition Communications and Counseling (Restricted – priority given to Senior standing students completing dietetics requirements)


  • To be considered for the Minor in Nutrition and Health, students must:
  • (1) not be in our major programs, including NS-CALS, NS-CHE, HBHS, and Biological Sciences with a Program of Study in Nutrition
  • (2) fill out and submit a copy of the top half of the form, “Intention to Minor in Nutrition and Health,” to the Undergraduate Student Services Assistant in B21 Savage (blank forms can be found in the sorter outside of B21 Savage)
  • (3) keep a copy of the form for yourself and give a copy to your major advisor.

Students will be personally responsible for planning their minor program of study in conjunction with their advisor in their major.

Students and advisors in other departments should contact Dr. Cha-Sook You, the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies in the Division of Nutritional Sciences, at cy12@cornell.edu, or Terry Mingle (tpm2@cornell.edu) in B21 Savage Hall if they have questions about our courses

  • To graduate with a minor in Nutrition and Health, you must submit the following materials to the DNS Academic Affairs Office, B21 Savage, by March 15th of your Senior year.
  • (1) a copy of his/her “Intention to Minor in Nutrition and Health” form with the bottom half (“Application to Graduate with a Minor in Nutrition and Health” section) completed – please list the courses taken toward the minor, and the grades received for each
  • (2) a copy of his or her transcript (it need not be an official copy – can be printed from Student Center) for verification that all required courses have been satisfactorily competed or are in the process of being completed

If you are completing any of the required courses during your final semester at Cornell, you will need to request a copy of your FINAL transcript be sent to Terry Mingle in B-21 Savage Hall.

Upon review of a satisfactory transcript, the DNS Academic Affairs Office will verify on the “Application to Graduate” form that the requirements for the Minor in Nutrition and Health have been completed and will notify your college’s registrar office staff, who will see that the minor gets added to your transcript (it will not appear on your diploma).